Awaiting Feedback Re-work on Overtalk Plugin (3 Viewers)

What to do with the Overtalk Plugin?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
If we were to implement individual toggles for red or blue, would it be able to show an indicator on screen, perhaps a hud element that shows which team is muted and so on? @Skull

I'm saying my piece because I didn't think completely removing it would be an option. I have seen and been part of similar frustrating situations but the plugin had helped way more than hinder.

I don't like the idea of just muting reds because in my experience, it's the blues talking over warden. Unless an admin is on, the "all blues/reds off mic for 30 seconds" order often needs to be repeated multiple times before people actually listen. Often times a blue will just speak after warden gives that order to be haha funny. If a blue decides not to listen and the warden decides to turn of FF to team kill, you run the risk of reds killing each other in that moment too. Sure, you could report everyone who over talks warden but who has time for that?

You could have two toggles, one for red and one for blue, I guess. Honestly though, I see the situation above happened either way. Reds have wanted to communicate with warden while being muted at the start of the round, if warden doesn't read chat it's a warden skill issue.

I feel like having the option to mute gives the admins less to deal with too because mic spammers can just be so easily ignored. If the warden leaves it on and forgets to turn it off or is too busy yapping, I think that's just a warden skill issue. People just need to learn to use it properly.

I pretty much agree with Pinecone’s perspective here, Its an annoying plugin in my opinion and not to mention it bugs out sometimes, Giving you a warning that you’re muted by it even though you’re not on some circumstances.

Despite that I can see its usefulness to an extent especially when leveraged by wardens that can’t control blues(In my experience blues overtalk way more than reds) who overtalk them, It happens more than you think.

At the end I feel like a test of a cooldown is better tried before outright removing the plugin all together.

I feel like having the option to mute gives the admins less to deal with too because mic spammers can just be so easily ignored. If the warden leaves it on and forgets to turn it off or is too busy yapping, I think that's just a warden skill issue.
damn sis is straight up COOKING!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Hello everyone.

Simply put, the overtalk plugin created by berkie is a fantastic plugin however it does have some issues that I've noticed in the past couple of weeks. For those who are unaware of how this plugin works, whenever the plugin is active, everyone on the server is unable to speak while the warden is speaking (admins are currently exempt for obvious reasons). I believe this plugin can be extremely useful for the chaotic rounds where everyone on the server is nonstop overtalking the warden and allows for rounds to transition and progress easily. However, though being able to mute everyone on the server is a fantastic addition, it does leave some issues that I've noticed and that is the inability of Blues to easily communicate with the warden during the plugin. Blues are now unable to effectively communicate with the warden to give callouts, to give warnings, to ask the warden questions, etc etc. They are now restricted to either typing the question/callout/etc in chat and pray the warden reads the chat, which they hardly do, or wait for the warden to stop talking so they can go ahead with the question.

I'm aware that blues are often those that overtalk the warden just as much as reds. However, there are rules set in place that are initially designed to prevent people from overtalking to begin with. Many forget the "all blues/reds off mic 30 second order" exists. If they prevent the round from progressing and it is unbearable, tk is an option though I believe it should be a last resort on that issue.

This might seem like such a non-issue to those who play on red, but as a blue player, I find it important to communicate well with the warden. This plugin essentially removes that ability to communicate with the warden effectively.

Berke has stated he would edit the plugin if the suggestion does go through, however, I do not want to initially create a poll so I could at least garner some conversation about the topic at hand and fabricate some solutions or if we should just deal with the issue.

I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on this issue!
iunno

example bad overtalk mute usage:
warden asked what toggling the air control button changes, i was a bit slow with saying its nearly impossible to airstrafe when its turned off.

but i couldn't finish my sentence before reds started jumping so they weren't prepared at exactly how difficult it is.

this could have been avoided by having the mute toggle only when you have something very important to say as warden, and are being over talked by others. (i.e. literally any important order)

this could have been avoided by having the mute toggle only when you have something very important to say as warden, and are being over talked by others. (i.e. literally any important order)
It’s important to note, it’s against the rules to use the plugin like this, except no one ever reports for it. The command is easily forgetful to some it would seem, and in the clip shown, it wasn’t being used for anything malicious, however it still affected hehe’s (perhaps some reds too) experience by not being able to talk to the warden. Would someone truly report someone for something like this? With the plugins removal we wont even have to bother with these kinds of situations.

• Useful
Reactions: hehe troll
Going to do a new poll just focussed on keeping/removing, please remember theres a suggestion to add a cooldown, factor that into your voting.

Screenshot (1706).png

the plug-in is double edged
cons
-warden is so lost in their world by yapping they dont notice its on and inevitably get sniped
-a person is gagged and can only communicate with mic
pros
-warden can stop mfker from blasting silly words
-warden can actually give orders
-basically a great tool for people who have quiet mics

the wardens who yap yap yap would die before they can get a chance at a successful round but the ones who dont yap away into their own wonderland are way better at living (mostly) - ive only ever seen it be bad whenever the first category of wardens get beaten,blown or headshotted mostly because of their own mishaps . Still, its what I think and idrc that much since I cant be on blu for now

Reactions: ItsNotCalassic
IMO I feel as though overtalk has been a really helpful plugin more than it’s been an issue while playing games. In the past 1-2 weeks I’ve been really active on the server and haven’t really seen any BIG issues with over talk (from a regular players perspective) the only real issues I’ve seen is people getting mad at wardens because over talk was enabled which meant they couldn’t just speak whenever they wanted which I don’t really see as an issue? I feel as though yes communication is important from the Wardens blues but most of the time if there are rebelling reds most of them are easily controlable scenarios or scenarios in which the warden won’t survive either way. Ex. Scout with a Boston basher rushing warden (most of the time survivable), medic with Uber healing a rebelling red, (easily preventable by restricting healing at the start of round), heavy’s lethal taunting, (restricting lethal taunting and enabling cc to keep an eyes on reds. Also same for scouts with wrap assassin honestly). In the cases in which multiple reds mass rebel I feel in most of those cases it’s instances in which the warden is alone in front of the entire groups of reds and them giving orders to have them follow without having any other blues present. (Which is mostly the case from what I’ve seen) overall I think there are more positives then negatives to the over talk plugin. I think remembering the old warden (Whole Server Mute) toggle should make us appreciate the over talk more. I like the idea though of maybe giving warden the whole server mute again but only for 10-15 seconds to be able to give orders followed by a cooldown? Or maybe no cooldown if this 10-15 mute seems appropriate to everyone but at that point I’d feel as though overtalk would be better 100% of the time? Just my opinion though :)

• Agree
Reactions: _Black
If the warden mutes useful advice from other blus, it is a skill issue.
I have had countless rounds salvaged by being able to mute rambunctious blus, so net positive through and through.

I have also been very active on the server as of late and I actually did not see the over-talk be an issue once. What I did see was it helping. I actually saw the over-talk rarely even being used.
Mistakes are guaranteed regardless if a blue is there to try and tell the warden useful information. I have seen countless times where a blue does go to correct the warden but by the time warden understands what the blue is saying, it's too late anyway. Sometimes it is a little fun when a new warden comes on and has to learn the hard way why wardens often restrict medics healing. Failrounds are just a part of life on Jailbreak. Sometimes the people telling the warden what to do are wrong. Just yesterday I had someone trying to argue with me that a deniable Lr was not deniable amidst me trying to give orders. People just need to learn how to use the tool correctly. At least once every play session, there's a warden who enables FF incorrectly. All it takes is a "you're supposed to give a warning" and the warden often listens. I have seen the same thing happen with the over-talk as well. Once a warden leaves it on a bit too long, often a blue will say "hey can you turn off over-talk" and the warden realizes their mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread